Mali’s economy is projected to grow by around five percent annually over the next three years (2016-2019). Despite this growth, Mali’s large geographical area and low income status makes maintenance of its infrastructure a major challenge.
In an effort to increase private sector participation in service delivery and to enhance efficiency, the government of Mali is working to finalize a PPP Policy and Implementation Framework. The framework will provide clear guidance for adopting PPP as a method of procurement for selected public infrastructure and service projects.
The government has also directed that a PPP Unit be established with the following responsibilities (i) ensuring that selected projects are carried out by the individual government ministries or local authorities in compliance with the PPP Policy; (ii) coordinating future PPP projects, with regard to project planning, risk analysis, financial approval and processing M&E; (iii) harmonizing the roles of other concerned government bodies, and (iv) ensuring the promotion of PPP and developing a capacity building program for PPP aimed at the public and private sector.
Before the new PPP developments, long-term concessions had been implemented for combined power/water supply utilities. These contracts were implemented based on the “Convention de Financement”,
the legal framework for private participation in infrastructure. This agreement sets forth the rights and responsibilities of the concession operator and the public partner.
In 2015 Mali signed concession agreements for two major Independent Power Producer (IPP) renewable energy projects (42 MW Kenie Hydropower and 33 MW Scatec Solar).
The Global Competitiveness Index (GCI) is published in the Global Competitiveness Report and assesses the competitiveness landscape of 140 economies. The GCI Infrastructure Score is a component of the overall index and covers transport, electricity and telephony infrastructure.
This agreement sets forth the rights and responsibilities of the concession operator and Malian Agency for the Development of Household Energy and Rural Electrification (AMADER) in financing a new project. Note the operator is allowed to provide cash or “in kind” contributions and must provide proof of these contributions within 60 days after the signing of the financing agreement. Article 3 provides a detailed description of when and how AMADER will provide its grants. AMADER agrees to disburse 25% of its total grant when the operator provides proof of its contribution. The remaining 75% is disbursed according to pre-determined “stages of work.”
As a multi-sector partnership between the private secgtor, NGOs and academia that focuses on developing commercially viable models to help water utilities and municipal authorities reach all citizens with improved water and sanitation.
This study is a product of the Africa Infrastructure Country Diagnostic (AICD), a project designed to expand the world’s knowledge of physical infrastructure in Africa. The AICD provides a baseline against which future improvements in infrastructure services can be measured, making it possible to monitor the results achieved from donor support. It also offers a solid empirical foundation for prioritizing investments and designing policy reforms in Africa’s infrastructure sectors.
The focus of the AICD country reports is on benchmarking sector performance and quantifying the main financing and efficiency gaps at the country level. These reports are particularly relevant to national policy makers and development partners working on...